Wednesday, July 17, 2013


FINDING OUT WHAT IT IS LIKE ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE LANGUAGE BARRIER
 
Workshop presented by Kazuko Izumi, Japan Region

'Attractive Conversation with Humour.'


Review by Margaret Craigie

After reading the description of the workshop, I thought it might be about difficulties of English and the sometimes humorous situations that can arise whenever two languages meet.  Perhaps the difference between severe and sever. (Henry VIII anyone?)   

I sat down and was given an English copy of the slide show to come.  Glancing through it, I was waiting for a particular slide in the first few minutes which indicated examples would be given. 

The moment arrived.  The correct slide was showing on the screen, and....

everything was still in Japanese!  The workshop was, in fact, to show Japanese people how to put humour into their presentations back home in Japan. 

I hadn't understood a word, and had instead got myself an experience of how students of English must feel a lot of the time. 

I can only hope I wasn't rude by leaving, as Kazuko seemed very good at what she was doing.  I might be an Accomplished Communicator (of a whole 2 weeks standing), but that's only in English.  I take my hat off to our Japanese members.  They are achieving so much, with huge obstacles.  I cannot imagine doing the same in a language other than my own.  Salut!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can leave a comment, and please do. The comments are moderated by the BlogMaster, so they do not appear instantly. During the convention they will by moderated at least twice daily. Until then, the comments will be moderated sporadically.